Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Go get more"

As I (we) have been unpacking the book bindery equipment from David’s and setting it up in Beagle, I’ve been on the lookout for a can of spray adhesive that David told me is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. I knew the brand name and knew the product had a two digit product number, but couldn’t quite remember the number. I realized no cans of spray adhesive had moved to Beagle. There is a tote of various glues, another for tapes, but no spray adhesive. I began to panic. I called my dad (what else is a 35 year old girl to do?), “There’s this spray adhesive I absolutely HAVE to have and I can’t find it anywhere and I wasn’t worried before that I didn’t remember the product number because I figured I would get an old can from David and then just replace it someday but I don’t have any from David and-” At this point, I was forced to breathe and my dad in his calm, I-have-a-PhD-in-Chemical-Engineering voice said, “Go get more.”
“But I don’t know the product number!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
“You’ll figure it out.”
Oh.
Well, ok. So I called the local hardware store, found out they do carry spray adhesive, and I headed there to “figure it out.” As soon as I saw the can, I knew (it’s 77, for those of you if I don’t reveal it will go crazy). I bought my very own can of spray adhesive. I raced back to Beagle Books, down the stairs, and even though it wasn’t technically “bindery time”, I couldn’t wait, I just HAD to glue something (and no, I don’t have any sniffing addiction problems, but thanks for your concern). I grabbed a book that David had started work on and I had nearly finished. I set up a spray area, sprayed the outside cover, jammed the text block into it, and, well, it looked terrible. I stepped into another room, breathed in and out a few times. Slow down, I told myself. I re-entered the room with the spray adhesive, and carefully took the cover back off the book. I let myself flounder until I remembered the proper steps: trim the end papers, etc. I glanced at the list of bookbinder traits David had made me and my eye fell on Patience, then Courage – try something new, and most importantly: Planning – if this doesn’t work, then what? Ok, David’s with me. I know what I’m doing and if I don’t, I’ll try again until I get it right. I just need practice, and I just have to “go get more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment